Sunday, August 28, 2011

Estoy aquí

Hey amigos!! Well I made it to the beautiful country of Chile. By beautiful I don't just mean the landscape but I mean the people as well. Chileans are beautiful people with beautiful hearts. My family is so nice and they all love each other so much. They all joke with each other and are just so laid back and relaxed. It is so different than being in the U.S. Here are a few things that are differente:

  • the obvious ( language) I knew it was going to be spanish but Chilean spanish is so different than the textbook spanish we learn. They shorten phrases ( like we do) and they have different sayings and pronounciations too. Like for instance instead of saying "buen de fin de semana" (have a good weekend" chileans just say "buen finde" instead. So I am having some troubles with the language. however it is only my first day. I will learn.
  • another thing is the coffee. They don't make coffee in a coffee maker, its a coffee powder in a can and you just add leche(milk) & water. It still has a coffee taste ( not as good) but it works.
  • the food is different. It was good. The big meal is lunchtime, they eat light meals for breakfast and dinner. For lunch we had carne(meat-beef) and this potato vegetable mix and celery with a lemon dressing. SO GOOD! and the helado (ice cream) was amazing it was "helado pina, platanos con salsa chocolate" which was this pineapple ice cream with chocolate sauce on top of cut up bananas. It was so good I had two bowls, They were so happy I liked it. :) They eat bread every day. At "dinner" we had "coffee" and tea and bread. They put avacado on thier bread, Texan don't be fooled avacado is not the same as guacamole. Avacado on bread is not bad, but they had nutella too. I also had a lemon cake that was my host dad's abuela's (grandma's) recipe. The "dinner" was a light meal more like a snack.
  • also the meals are different too. In the U.S we hardly ever eat any meals as a family and if we do, we get up from the table after we are done eating. Well not here, we eat every meal together and we sit and talk after we are done eating, we just stay at the table and laugh and fellowship. Even though I have no idea what they are saying now( probably talking about how confused I look), give it a few months and maybe I will even crack a few jokes at the table :) hehe
also I learned that is the "azul" (blue-Universidad de Chile) team is playing futbol (soccer) then thats the team my family cheers for, so that is the team I will cheer for :)

my brain hurts from trying to translate and figure out what the strange words mean. I need rest and I could write a whole lot more and maybe I will later but as for now. Chau! (they say chau instead of "adios")


No comments:

Post a Comment